This year I was compelled to share picture books on the themes of individualism, self esteem, and kindness. I also located accompanying wonders on Wonderopolis. Happy reading!
- Cheer Up by Michael Gordon -Simple rhymes tell of a little boy learning about kindness.
- Wings by Christopher Myers - a student who is different from the others is ok with his individualism.
- The Kindness Quilt by Nancy Elizabeth Wallace - a class assignment leads students to explore random acts of kindness
- Pinduli by Janell Cannon - A book about how words can make something enormous. A lesson on treating others with respect.
- The Boy Who Grew Flowers by Jen Wojtowicz - Treated as outcasts, two students new to a school form a bond around their uniqueness and lead others to explore kindness.
- How Kind! by Mary Murphy - A book that shows how act of kindness leads to a series of other good deeds. (See WOD #137)
- The Invisible Boy by Trudy Ludwig - Left out by classmates, Brian befriends a new boy and makes the boy feel welcomed. Great lesson on kindness and making others feel included.
- Each Kindness by Jacqueline Woodson - Maya is rejected by girls at school and stops going to school. After a lesson on kindness by the teacher, the girls think about the consequences of their actions. (See WOD #607)
- Ordinary Mary's Extraordinary Deed by Emily Pearson - Mary picks blueberries for a neighbor and this leads to a chain of good deeds. (See WOD #502)
- Sharing: How Kindness Grows by Fran Shaw - boys and girls learn about sharing and how good it feels to help others.