- Students will calculate distance from one point to another.
- Students will calculate distance with time to determine destination point arrival.
- How can a coordinate plane be used to determine ordered pairs?
- How does mathematics help us in our daily lives?
Warm Up/Anticipatory Students will view the video: Plotting a Point (ordered pair)
- Teacher will divide class into four groups.
- Teacher will give each group a city map.
- Students will overlay city map on coordinate plane.
- Groups will label the x-axis, y-axis and point of origin.
- Groups will calculate the distance from the point of origin/starting point to the planned first water stop.
- Students will also calculate rate/distance times time ran to determine how long it will it will take to get to the next stopping point.