Students will predict outcomes, identify variables, plant seeds, interpret data and compare and contrast, all while gaining a valuable lesson on the life cycle of a pumpkin seed.
How long does a seed to germinate to become a pumpkin?
Students will pretest their knowledge of new vocabulary (seed, germinate, soil, climate, nutrients, harvest) by playing a game of match (teacher created multimedia presentation numbered slides with one word per slide and one definition per numbered slide. Students must successfully match words to definitions by slide number.
- watch a video on growing pumpkins via YouTube at https://youtu.be/KRdjiuIgrtE by glacious11.
- predict outcome of planted seed(s)
- write any wonders on the pumpkin wonders chart.
- plant actual seeds and provide necessary water, light and nutrients to soil.
- create a digital journal (per group) to record pictures, seed type, soil type, and temperature.
- monitor growth of seed.
- interpret data about light, soil and growth.
- compare and contrast results through harvest.