Identify the properties of snowflakes
How does temperature affect the state of matter for water?
Share these books:
The Story of Snow The Science of Winter's Wonder by Mark Cassino with Jon Nelson, Ph.D. illustrated by Nora Aoyagi.
Video Resource - available through BookFlix at Infohio.org
- Snowflake Bentley
- Plot Summary: This Caldecott Medal-winning book poetically describes the life and work of Vermont farmer and photographer Wilson Bentley. From the time he was a small boy, Willie was fascinated by snow.
More resources here :http://snowflakebentley.com/bio.htm
Spanish resource : Nieve Snow by Erin Edison
And while the snow
this brief moment,
let us take a walk and see how beautiful
the world is ~Cynthia Rylant
How to catch your own Snow Crystals - see Wonders with Charlie or :
- Chill a piece of dark cardboard or foam outside for at least ten minutes.
- Hold out the board to catch snow flakes
- Use a magnifying glass to look at the snowflakes
- Draw your snowflake observations
We will also build giant paper snowflakes
Vocabulary: matter, solid, liquid, gas, vapor, molecule, symmetry, crystal, solstice
For older students: Did scientists discover a new form of matter?
What Happens in Winter by Sara L. Latta