Students will learn about mottos, symbols and state flags.
Why do states have a flag, symbols and mottos?
- Students will randomly select a state (states are printed on slips of paper and drawn out of a paper bag)
- Students will research their state.
- Students will work independently and design a new state flag, create a new motto, and a new symbol for their selected state.
- Students will write a paper accompanying their state based on their new creation. The paper must explain the flag, the selected colors, symbol, motto, and significance of selections to the state.
- Students will add pictures, their motto and symbol to a multimedia slide as part of a whole class project.