Students will produce clear and coherent writing in which the development and organization are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience by sending a "welcome package" to residents of Wondertron in the form of a GoogleSlide.
How do authors write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly?
Teacher will instruct students to read Wonder #68, "Is There Life on Other Planets?" Students will work with a partner to read, discuss, and watch the video of the wonder. Together, student partners will complete the "Try It" section of the Wonder #68. Students may use GoogleSlides to create their Wondertron Welcome Package.
Imagine astronomers have discovered friendly beings on a distant planet called Wondertron. They would like to send a “welcome package" from Earth to the residents of Wondertron, and you have been recruited as a representative of America to help decide what to send.
The welcome package should include:
What would your welcome package contain? Write a brief description of what you would send to the aliens of Wondertron.
* Three items that represent modern life in America
* Three news stories about important moments in American history
* Three foods that represent American culture
* Three miscellaneous items of your choice
* Three descriptions of unique Earthling habits (examples: birthday parties, spelling bees, having pets, collecting seashells, dancing, parades, building snowmen)
Students will present their GoogleSlide presentations to the class. In addition, teacher will create a document linking all the students presentations to share with Wonderopolis and on Twitter.