Joined Mar 1, 2016
- Location: Rockville Centre, New York
- Organization: Independent ELA Consultant
- Grade: K , 1st , 2nd , 3rd , 4th , 5th , 6th , 7th , 8th , 9th , 10th , 11th , 12th
- Environment: Currently, I live on Long Island near the ocean and have been blessed to teach in diverse school districts in Albany, Syracuse, and on Long Island. For ten years prior to my retirement, I had the privilege of being a districtwide literacy administrator in West Babylon Schools, Long Island. Now in the "unretirement" stage of my professional life, I continue my love of teaching as an ELA consultant to school districts and educators. Nature and community have played important roles in my career and I have returned to my roots of writing. The lure of the ocean sweeping the landscape is reflected in the poetry I write and the inspirational messages I compose digitally. read more...
I have been a lifelong learner and wonderer my entire life. As a child, curiosity allowed my mind to wander to imaginative places and seek answers. My mother and grandmother whose creative talents were boundless fostered my flights into the world of creativity.
Appreciating the gifts of reading, writing, art, and learning at a very young age, led me to creative outlets and a long teaching and administrative career in the field of literacy. I continue to notice and wonder about life, learning, and literacy; write with passion and an observant eye; ardently champion voice as a means to be creatively expressive, and passionately promote positivity during my unretirement days as an ELA Consultant.
Being one of Wonderopolis’ Wonder Lead Ambassadors is an honor and will provide the opportunity to continue to impact teaching and learning in a broader sense.
Besides being an educator, I am:
-Co-moderator of #NYEDChat, the voice of New York State educators and beyond where I continually invite educators and colleagues from across the globe to join in timely discussions
-Writer/creator of the "Reflect With Me Galleries of Artistic Expressions" that connect literacy, the arts, and technology, bringing a sense of voice through poetry and photography to the public eye
-Blogger and member of the following social media communities: Celebrate This Week, DigiLit Sunday, Poetry Friday, Slice of Life, Spiritual Journey Thursday
-Presenter at local, regional, state, and national conferences
-Executive Board Member and Editor of the Long Island Language Arts Council
-Member of the following literary associations: International Literacy Council, Nassau Reading Council, National Council of Teachers of English, New York State English Council read more...
- Website/Blog: http://beyondliteracylink.blogspot.com https://www.facebook.com/carol.varsalona https://www.instagram.com/cvarsalona/ https://www.linkedin.com/in/carol-varsalona-56387169 read more...
Apr 24, 2017
URGENT MESSAGE:As residents of the earth, we need to take on the role of stewards, keep watch over the bountiful creation provided us, and teach ...0