Students will be able to identify the characteristics of a limerick, recognize rhyme and count syllables.
Who was Edward Lear?
- Have students view Wonder 221.
- Teacher will distribute a copy of a limerick to each student.
- Teacher will have a student read a line at a time aloud,
- Have students underline rhyming words at end of each line.
- Explain to students the rhyme pattern of aa, bb, c.
- Have students count syllables of each line after it is read.
- Students will be given a second handout of a limerick with which to practice.
- Students will dissect limericks noting rhyme pattern, syllable count and other characteristics of a limerick.
- Students will create and illustrate their own limerick.